Saturday 17 February 2018

First Honeybees and hoverflies of the year at Cranford Park

I was at Cranford Park both Friday and Saturday for a few hours each day. Even though it is still quite cold, I guessed that the forecast sunshine would bring out a few critters, and I was right.
 
The old woodpecker nest hole in Bluebell Dell is still being visited by a pair of  'marmite' Parakeets. The last time I was watching them was 8th February so I was quite surprised to see they were STILL excavating the hole to suit their size. There was several times when all I could see was sawdust being thrown out....
 
 
Along the River Crane there was a Moorhen taking a bath....

 
and at the new wildlife pond the resident Robin was doing the same....


 
In the car park a Dunnock was pottering about. I managed to get a photo of it's back showing that these overlooked little brown birds are actually very pretty with their intricate plumage...

 
In the courtyard a pair of Magpies were surveying the area....

 
and Mrs Kestrel was again hunting in the Headland area....

 
I spent a lot of time in the churchyard both yesterday and today. My first Honeybee of the season was seen there yesterday. Although they don't hibernate, they do become very sluggish during very cold weather and rarely leave the hive. Today they were very busy visiting the snowdrops, crocus and heather. Some were still quite sluggish though and were dropping into the grass after taking pollen. Both the wild hive above the Secret Garden and the one in the Stable Block archway were active yesterday and today, and I saw the Beekeepers car in the compound when I arrived this morning. For the first time this year my macro lens came out to play, and I whiled away a good hour taking photos of these busy little bees....
 





 
I also had my first hoverflies of the season. They were all of the same species, the common Episyrphus balteatus, also known as the Marmalade Fly.....
 



 
A very productive few hours at the park. Spring is definitely around the corner.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment